My New Home

My New Home
Downtown Seattle - Nighttime

Friday, May 14, 2010

I'm Most Definitely Losing 30 Minutes of Darkness Per Day....

Sorry for the delay in updates, friends, I have been quite the busy bee this last week!

Well it's been lots of work getting things ready for all of our employees and guests to come! Our opening day is June 3rd, which is right around the corner and every day that passes, I get even more excited to see what's to come.
I'm trying to get adjusted to the sleeping as it's getting brighter, longer by the minute! My new trick is burrowing in my covers so I don't see the light through my blinds AND curtains...good grief, I'm not sure why I'm so surprised; it's like this every summer!
I'm excited to report that I'm a certified Princess driver, and I happily get to take daily trips to the Copper Center Post Office. Doesn't sound like a ton of fun, however, being able to drive is a luxury here as typically you don't have a car here, unless you opt to buy a $500 junker that for reasons unknown to many, survives the summer in AK.
Day before yesterday I got to drive into "town" which is actually another town 15 minutes away from us, called Glennallen. As I was headed back from my trek to the "big city" I decided I'd like to pull off and take a few pictures at one of my favorite pic spots. I safely parked the van and got my camera ready. At this particular look out, you have to walk a little trail through a clearing in the woods. I started walking through and heard quite the rustling in the trees. I prepped myself for a moose, as I thought, only I would have a run in with a moose on my second day of work. I quickly got low and was peering through to my right through the trees when to the left of me, 5 barking squirrels flew out of the trees and were very talkative and upset about something. Could have been me, or perhaps they had a lovers quarrel, who knows, but it spooked me enough to say the heck with the picture, I'm outta here! Looking back, it's quite the laugh, but at the time, I was terrified! I suppose living here for a few summers still keeps me on my toes!
Tomorrow, I'm doing a 5K with my Princess gang. It's for MS and we're all very excited. We made some pretty sweet shirts and my girl Nicole and I have all the intentions of decking ourselves out 80's style. Pictures to follow, indefinitely. Making this little town's world all the more exciting is, I think, one of the most fun things to do while living here, so watch out Glennallen!
Needless to say, I'm having a great first week in Alaska, and while I miss you all dearly, I can't say it hasn't been eventful!

No comments:

Post a Comment