My New Home

My New Home
Downtown Seattle - Nighttime

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mosquito bite count: 11 and counting...

Ok so I thought I'd be so good about updating this blog thing weekly, but apparently I'm not! I will do my best to keep this updated a little more often! (Sorry Grandma!)

All is well in the land of the midnight sun. The weather this year (knock on wood) has been uncharacteristically warm, and I'm loving every minute of it. It's only rained about 2 days, which, while that is great for being out and about, it's terrifying to a dry landed Alaska. The fire hazard has been VERY HIGH lately, and there have already been a few fires relatively close to us. Hopefully the weather will give us a little shower here and there.

Good grief, every year I think I'll escape the wrath of the unofficial state bird of Alaska, the mosquito, and every year, they never cease to amaze me and leave me itching up a storm only to look down on my legs and see that I've single handedly made a connect the dots puzzle on my ankle. Epic fail! I'm trying to invest in a full body armor suit to don on and be bite-less...I'll keep you posted on the progress regarding that attire. I did, however, get a mosquito net/hat cover thing from some girls here for my birthday. It was a sweet gesture, and I may try that on for size as well.

I did my first sea adventure last week and went down to Valdez and hopped on the Stan Stephens Whale and Glacier Cruise. I've been on this particular cruise 3 times, but it never gets old. I saw sea otters, humpback whales, porpoise whales, sea lions, puffins, eagles, and even dahl sheep. It was a great day! I'm hoping to go flying soon and get into the Wrangell-St. Elias Mountain Range and check out all of the beauty that park has to offer, and believe me, it's absolutely stunning. I hope I can go, so I can show you for yourself!

Other than all of the fun things I get to do by simply living in AK, my job is going wonderful. Granted, I'm a little bussier than I ever was as a server, I feel I really am making a difference to my co-workers, and my employees to make their summer amazing. We have a young, but great group of people this year, and they are all so eager and excited to just BE here, and it makes me smile, and kinda reminds me of myself my first year. I just hope I can make an impact on them as I was then.

I miss everyone very much and hope you're having as great of a summer as I am.
Catch you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment